This recipe easily doubles as a light vegetarian dinner or as a hearty appetizer to serve to a crowd. Customizable, switch up the mushrooms and your favorite cheese to make this earthy, kid-friendly Mushroom Quesadilla your own.
- 1 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
- 1?4 C. Mushrooms (black trumpet, oyster, cremini, clamshell, or other wild mushrooms.)
- 2 tablespoons Yellow Onion, Minced
- 1 oz. Grated Oaxaca or Muenster Cheese
- 1 oz. Grated Panela or Aged Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 oz. Grated Cotija or Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Tbsp. Cilantro
- Dash of oregano
- 1 Whole Wheat or Corn Tortillas
- Heat the vegetable oil in a medium sauce pan. When the oil shimmers, add mushrooms and a pinch of salt. Sauté until mushrooms release their liquid, liquid evaporates and mushrooms begin to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add onions. Sauté until onions ares soft and the entire mixture is golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add mushroom mixture to grated cheeses, cilantro, oregano and coriander. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place one tortilla in the middle of the skillet, on medium heat. In the middle of the tortilla scoop the mushroom cheese mixture and fold the tortilla over the mixture.
- Cook until one side is golden brown then flip the tortilla over once until the other side is golden brown and the cheese has melted.
- 6. Slice into quarters and top with salsa and/or sour cream if desired.