Thai Turkey Tacos
Serves 4 people
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped ginger
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1⁄2 cup Teriyaki Sauce (see below)
- 1 lime
- 1 head green cabbage
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- Place a medium sauté pan on medium heat and add 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil.
- Once pan reaches a smoking point, add ginger and garlic and fry for 2 minutes, moving constantly.
- Add turkey, season with 2 tsp salt and cook the meat through.
- Add the chopped cilantro and teriyaki sauce, mix well.
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 2⁄3 cup Mirin (rice wine)*
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/3 cup sugar (or honey)
- 2 Tablespoons chopped ginger
- 2 Tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 Tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- Place sesame oil in a sauce pot on medium heat.
- Add ginger and garlic and sweat for 23 minutes until soft and translucent.
- Place the rest of the items in the pot and bring to a simmer to dissolve the sugar. Remove from heat
and transfer to a container to cool.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Place rice, water and sea salt in a pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low and cover with a lid.
- Steam for 30 minutes until dry and fluffy.
Assembling the tacos
- To finish, break whole cabbage leaves off the head of cabbage.
- Spoon 1⁄4 cup of brown rice, 1⁄2 cup turkey mix into cabbage leaves and top with cilantro and lime
*Some ingredients in this recipe can be found in the Asian food section in the grocery store.