- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup dried lentils
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 cups water
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1 cup salsa
- 4 ounces (1 cup) shredded cheese
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- Wash the lettuce.
- Collect, dice, shred, and measure all ingredients before starting to prepare the recipe.
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray. Add tortillas to the skillet one at a time. Heat briefly on both sides over medium heat until warm and soft. Wrap in 2 layers of foil, put on a plate, and cover with another plate to keep warm.
- Heat the oil in the skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the onion, and cook for 4 to 6 minutes until it becomes soft. Stir while cooking.
- Add the lentils, garlic powder, and taco seasoning, and stir to mix.
- Add the water and tomato sauce, and stir to mix.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low, and cover. Cook for about 20 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Uncover, and cook for 5 more minutes until the mixture thickens. (Optional: Mash the lentils somewhat with the back of a fork.)
- Add ¼ cup of the lentil mixture, salsa, cheese, and lettuce to each tortilla.
Get Creative! Serve as lentil tostadas or with tortilla chips as a party dip.
Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours. Eat within 3 to 5 days.