Pizza with Tempeh Sausage
Fat: 13 grams
Carbohydrates: 41 grams
Fiber: 3 grams
Protein: 12 grams
Allergens: Seeds, gluten, wheat, soy
- 2-2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ¼ tsp. instant yeast (1 packet)
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- ¾ tsp. salt
- ¾ warm water (not too hot or it will kill the yeast)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 8oz. package tempeh
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. fennel seeds
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. red chili pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
- Vegetables of choice – green pepper, red onion, broccoli, spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes, olives etc.
- Shred-able vegan mozzarella, easy stretch vegan mozzarella, or store-bought vegan cheese
- In a large bowl, or stand mixer, add 1 cup flour, yeast, sugar, and salt, and stir until well combined.
- Now pour in the warm water, and olive oil, and stir well with large spoon.
- Gradually add the rest of the flour, ½ cup at a time, until the dough starts to form a ball and pull away from the sides of the bowl. It should be a little sticky but not too wet. You should be able to handle it with your hands.
- If you are using a stand mixer with a dough hook, knead the dough for 2-3 minutes. If you are not using a mixer, transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead with your hands for 4-5 minutes, until a cohesive ball is formed.
- Grease a large bowl with oil, and place dough in it. Cover with a towel and let the dough rise for at least 30 minutes, until it doubles in size. (Tip - I preheat the oven to 300, then turn it off and set the bowl inside, with the door slightly open.)
- In a medium pan with a lid, crumble the tempeh small and add ½ cup of water. Steam, and cover for about 5 minutes until nearly all the water has evaporated.
- Now add the olive oil and remaining ingredients to the pan and cook, stirring frequently for 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat. Prepare all vegetables by slicing/chopping, get out your pizza sauce and vegan cheese of choice.
- Preheat the oven to 450F when the dough is nearly risen.
- Once dough has risen, gently punch the dough to deflate it, transfer to a floured surface and roll out the dough to fit your pizza pan. I use a rolling pin; you could also use your hands. Fold over the edges to make a crust, if desired.
- Transfer the dough to your pizza pan, add sauce, vegetables (of choice), and cheese. Bake pizza for 12-15 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted. Slice, and serve!
*Feel free to substitute half or all of the all-purpose flour with whole wheat or white whole wheat flour, if desired (lower in carbs, and higher in protein and fiber).
*Pair with a side salad or vegetable of choice for added nutrients and fiber for fullness!