Heart Healthy Date Balls
- 20 Medjool dates
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1⁄2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
- 1⁄2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 T cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- In a food processor add dates and process until it is a paste.
- Add sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds and pulse until well chopped.
- Add coconut, cinnamon, cocoa and sea salt and pulse to combine, scraping down sides as needed. If too sticky add additional coconut one tablespoon at a time.
- Add dried cherries- pulse just enough to mix them in.
- Remove from food processor.
- Line a dish or baking sheet with parchment paper, scoop out mixture and evenly flatten mixture with clean hands or spoon.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Pop parchment paper with mixture out and place on cutting board. Then using a sharp knife cut into 20 bars.
- Roll the soft bars into balls, and coat each ball in sunflower seeds or shredded coconut.
- Store in the refrigerator or freezer.
Chef Holly Wilkens MS RDN
Fun Facts about Dates
- The word “date” comes from a Greek word meaning “finger”
- Dates are a sweet and yummy treat that is also high in heart healthy potassium and brain food magnesium
- Dates have been being cultivated for over 8000 years
- Dates grow in trees in regions with HOT long summers- they grow best when there are over 100 days of 100-degree weather!
[button color=”orange” size=”medium” align=”left” link=”https://eatsparkcity.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/EATS-recipe-dates-february-2016.pdf”]Download Recipe[/button]