Homemade Tomato Soup (PSCD)
This Homemade Tomato Soup was our January taste test recipe in the Park City schools. To say it was a hit was an understatement. The kids and staff alike were coming back for seconds. Serve this soup with a warm, gooey grilled cheese and you’ve got an easy, delicious, weeknight dinner that the entire family will love!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup minced onion
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups vegetable broth or stock
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- pinch cayenne pepper, optional
- Heat olive oil in a medium sauce pan. Add minced onions and sauté for about 5 minutes until soft and translucent.
- Add tomato paste, diced tomatoes, and vegetable broth; stir. Bring soup to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Add basil, garlic powder, thyme, salt, pepper, and cayenne if using.
- Using either an immersion blender, food processor, or stand blender to puree the soup until smooth. Adjust the seasoning if necessary and serve warm.