- 2 cups of almond meal
- 1 cup of old fashioned oats
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg (if using)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- ½ cup of chopped walnuts (optional)
- ½ cup of raisins, craisins, dates, or chocolate chips
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup grated zucchini (about 1 zucchini, or sub more carrots)
- 1 cup grated carrots (about 2 carrots)
- 6 tbsp melted unsalted butter
- ½ cup of maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, combine almond meal, oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, sea salt, walnuts, craisins or whatever mixins you are using.
- In a separate bowl, combine eggs, zucchini, carrots, butter, maple syrup and vanilla. Add this to the dry ingredients, mixing until combined. The batter will be thick.
- Spoon into muffin cups. It’s optional to line the muffin tin with paper or rubber cups. There is enough butter in the recipe where they won't stick to the pan.
- Fill batter to the brim of the cups and bake for 25-30 minutes or until nicely browned on top. If a toothpick is inserted into the muffin and comes out clean, then they are ready.
Ways to adapt this recipe:
- You can ground up almonds in a blender to create almond meal, or substitute for ground oats (creating oat flour), or just use regular flour).
- Omit the nutmeg for more cinnamon, if desired.
- Have fun with combinations for the ½ cup of walnuts, ½ cup of mixins. I omitted walnuts and added ½ cup of craisins, ½ cup of chocolate chips.
- Omit the zucchini and add more carrots! Omit the carrots and add more zucchini!
- Instead of using ½ cup of maple syrup, add 1/4 cup coconut sugar, ¼ cup of maple syrup. Or just use regular sugar.
To make this recipe vegan:
- Use 6 tbsp of melted coconut oil or Earth Balance butter.
- Substitute the eggs for flax eggs.