Black Bean Burgers
Makes 6 servings
- 2 cups Black Beans or 1 15 oz. can, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup red onion, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large egg
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 4 Burger Buns
Place beans in large bowl and mash with a fork or potato masher. Leave some texture. Stir in the breadcrumbs and next 5 ingredients. Divide into 4 patties, 1/2″ thick.
Cook on grill or in a sauce pan. Spread mayo on buns. Place 1 patty on bun and top with relish (below), and remaining bun.
- 2/3 cup finely chopped peeled cucumber
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped dill
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of red pepper
Mix all above ingredients and cover and chill.
Courtesy of Susie Schultz