Curry Lentil Soup
Fat: 15.6 grams
Carbohydrates: 26 grams
Fiber 10 grams
Protein: 10 grams
- 1 tbsp. light oil (canola, vegetable)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece ginger, minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup brown or green lentils
- 2 tbsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ - ½ tsp. cayenne (optional for spice)
- 1 ½ cups full-fat coconut milk (canned)
- 1 handful cilantro, chopped
- In a large soup pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. When hot, add the onion, garlic, and ginger. Sauté for about 5 minutes until the onions turn translucent and begin to brown.
- Stir in the vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, brown or green lentils, curry powder, cumin, salt, and cayenne (if using). Cover and bring to a simmer. Cook for about 25 minutes until the tomatoes are cooked and the lentils are tender.
- Stir in the coconut milk and heat through. Serve hot and garnish with cilantro.
*If you would like to use red lentils, do not add them until the last 10 minutes of cooking so they don’t get mushy.
*Sub regular coconut milk for a light or reduced fat option to make dish healthier.