- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 sweet onion
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 8 oz of mushrooms (optional)
- ½ cup basil
- 1 can of diced tomato with juices
- 6-8 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp dried oregano
- A pinch of dried thyme or fresh thyme
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 cup cooked lentils (optional)
- 2 tbsp chia seeds (optional)
- Choice of noodles or 2 zucchinis for zucchini noodles
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat then saute onion and garlic for 5-6 minutes. Add salt and pepper.
- Stir in mushrooms for 5-10 minutes until liquid from mushrooms has cooked off.
- Add basil, can of tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, oregano, and thyme and stir. Then add lentils and chia seeds if desired.
- Simmer the sauce on medium for 15-20 minutes.
- While the sauce is cooking, prepare a pot of boiling water for noodles or prepare zucchini noodles.