Thai Baked Chicken
Ecker Hill Middle School students delved into a month of making Asian food during our spring 2019 cooking class. Emphasis was on the tastes, colors and artistry of presentation. They made this Thai Baked Chicken in the second lesson, making colorful artwork on their plates.
- 6-8 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 tbsp oil (for skillet)
- coconut milk: canned
- jalapeño: 1 large or 2 small
- coriander: dried
- ginger: fresh
- garlic: fresh
- coconut sugar
- Add marinade ingredients to food processor and purée until smooth.
- Arrange chicken parts in a single layer in a large freezer bag. Pour marinade over chicken, seal tightly or vacuum seal and massage the marinade into the chicken a bit. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 24 hours, or simply lay it flat in the freezer and freeze for another day. If you don’t have 2 hours, bake in sauce right away.
- When ready to cook, thaw completely. The safest way to thaw is in the refrigerator overnight.
- To bake: Preheat oven to 375F. Heat a large oven-proof skillet over medium to high heat. Add oil and wait until it ripples or shimmers. Add chicken pieces and sear on each side for 3-4 minutes, then place skillet in oven for 15 - 20 minutes or until it has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Cover with foil and let stand on a platter for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Sprinkle with more chopped cilantro and serve with lime wedges.