- Olive oil
- 1 pepper of any kind (poblano or bell)
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 medium jalapeño (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes, chunky tomato sauce, or fresh tomatoes diced
- 32 ounces (4 cups) vegetable stock
- 1 can corn, rinsed and drained (optional)
- 1 14-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- Salt, pepper and other spices to taste
- 6 corn tortillas (optional)
- 1 avocado
- 2 to 4 radishes
- 2 ounces shredded cheese
- 1 handful cilantro leaves
- 1 lime, sliced into small wedges
- 1 cup of rice to serve with soup
- If using tortillas, preheat the oven to 475 degrees F. Slice tortillas into strips.
- Bake the tortillas: Toss the tortilla strips in the oil to coat and arrange the strips in a single layer.
- Bake 6 to 8 minutes, or until golden brown. While the strips are hot, season with salt.
- Prepare the rice in an Instant Pot or on the stovetop according to the directions on the package.
- Make the soup: In a medium pot, heat some olive oil on medium until hot. Add the onion, garlic, jalapeño and other pepper. Cook 4 to 5 minutes, or until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the cumin, your choice of tomatoes and vegetable stock.
- Simmer for about 3 minutes, then add corn and black beans.
- Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over rice or alone, adding any toppings you'd like!