- 3 beets
- 4 carrots
- 3 potatoes
- 1 winter squash
- 5 quarts vegetable broth
- 1 - 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp dried rosemary or thyme (it's great with both!)
- 1 white onion, diced
- 3 - 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 16-oz can beans (cannellini or navy are nice, but any type works)
- 3 - 4 leaves of kale, deveined and chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parboil beets, carrots, and potatoes.
- Half the winter squash and rub the flesh with olive oil.
- Roast the winter squash for 15 minutes at 425 degrees F but not until the flesh is too tender. It will cook a bit more in the soup.
- Remove the rind and cube the squash into bite sized pieces.
- Cube the parboiled veggies.
- Bring the vegetable broth to a soft boil.
- Add the parboiled veggies, the cubed winter squash, lemon juice, herbs, onion, garlic, and beans. Let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the kale and let simmer for another 5 minutes or until all of the vegetables are cooked through and soft enough to eat.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!