Mac & Trees
Mac & Trees -New School Cuisine Cookbook Serves 10
- Broccoli 1/2 pound
- Water 1 gallon
- Kosher salt, For the pasta water
- Whole Wheat Macaroni 2/3 pound
- Milk 1/4 gallon
- Flour 1/2 cup
- Ground Mustard Seed 1/4 Tsp
- Grated Parmesan Cheese 1/3 cup
- Ground Black Pepper to taste
- Paprika 1/4 Tsp
- Salted Butter 1/3 cup
- Garlic Powder 1/4 Tsp
- Onion Powder 1/4 Tsp
- Worcestershire Sauce 1/4 Tsp
- Cheddar Cheese 1 cup
- Preheat convection oven to 325 degrees or conventional oven to 350 degrees.
- Trim broccoli and cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Bring water and 5 tsp salt to a boil in a large stockpot. Cook pasta for 5 minutes. Add the broccoli and cook until the pasta is slightly underdone, about 2 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Warm milk in a large pot over low heat.
- Whisk together flour, remaining 5 tsp salt, mustard, paprika and pepper in a large bowl.
- Melt butter in a large stockpot over low heat. Increase heat to medium. Whisk in the flour mixture and cook, whisking constantly for 2 minutes. Do not brown. Slowly whisk the warm milk into flour mixture, whisking constantly. Stirring until smooth & thickened. (If you add the milk too fast you will see lumps form. Do not add more milk until the mix bubbles; be careful not to let lumps form.)
- Stir in garlic powder, onion powder, Worcestershire sauce, and Cheddar and Parmesan cheeses. Cook, stirring, until the cheeses are melted, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Pour the sauce over the pasta and broccoli; stir to combine. Pour into a 9×11 inch pan sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake in a convection oven for 25 minutes or conventional oven for 30 minutes. The internal temperature should be at 160 degrees.