Ecker Hill Middle School students delved into a month of making Asian food during our spring 2019 cooking class. Emphasis was on the tastes, colors and artistry of presentation. Students used bamboo mats to roll vegetable sushi during the first lesson, try the recipe!
- 1 cup uncooked short grain white rice or sushi rice
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 package Nori seaweed
- soy sauce for dipping, pickled ginger, if desired
- Bamboo sushi rolling mat(s)
- cream cheese
- 1 packages Nori seaweed
- To learn how to make sushi rolls, search YouTube for how-to videos.
- In a medium saucepan, bring 1 1/3 cups water to a boil. Add rice, and stir. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. In a small bowl, mix the rice vinegar, sugar, and salt. Blend the mixture into the rice.
- Prepare desired vegetables in strips or smaller pieces.
- Put a layer of rice on half the bamboo mat as shown on video, dot the end of the mat with rice; then add fillings.
- Roll sushi as seen on YouTube.
- Cut into 5-6 pieces. Enjoy with soy sauce!